Breakout Room Conversations, Thoughts and Ideas:
- Using List of Activities sheet (linked below) and sending ideas from that out in small chunks. Asking for feedback from mentors on how each is going. Creating incentives to participate that change each week.
- Example: Design a t-shirt and then the org. will print it for you
- How long are you advising matches to stay virtual?
- A lot of variety: leaving it up to the parents, finishing up virtually until the summer break, next 6 months
- Technology used: Google Meet (kids are already on this), Zoom, House Party, Cahoot game, texting
- It’s helpful to hear that everyone is struggling and having similar issues
- Access when dealing with inner city vs. rural looks very different right now
- Roundtable support sessions for mentors
- More success with organization-family connection and less with mentor-mentee connection
- It’s easy for mentors to get in a rut. Check in with them one on one and talk through different ideas and new things to try (a new project, a new app to use, etc.)
Still in Search of:
- iCouldBe: Who is using this already? How long will MENTOR offer these as free platforms?
- Privacy can be an issue during this virtual world: any tips on how programs are encouraging and promoting a safe space to talk virtually?
- Want to hear more about using Facebook to connect mentors and mentees.
General Resources Talked About:
- MENTOR Colorado Free Consulting (Technical Assistance): https://comentoring.org/program-resources/technical-assistance/
- List of Activities for Mentors-Mentees: https://comentoring.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Activities-What-Will-We-Do-Each-Week-Coronavirus-Version.pdf
- Free Virtual Portals: https://www.mentoring.org/virtual-mentoring-portals/
Free Video Services:
- Google Duo
- Google Hangouts
- Facebook Messenger
Paid Video Services:
- Microsoft Teams
Secure & Monitored Text-based Communications:
- CricketTogether (Under age 12)
- iCouldBe (age 13 and up)
Leave a Reply